Saturday, October 2, 2010

Theodore to wild

I think the wild made a decent pickup this weekend with the signing of Jose Theodore. Now before you call me crazy and throw out Jose Threeorfour, as even I have done more than once, just think about it. While Jose is certainly not the same Vezina winning goalie he once was, he still managed to go 30-7-7 last year. I think the biggest problem in Washington was that his coach had no confidence in him. One bad game and he would be benched. I can somewhat understand it, with Varlamov being a solid goaltender in his own right, but the guy deserved a chance to at least attempt a bounce back performance.
I don't expect him to put up better numbers in Minnesota, as the Wild are an entirely different club, missing a lot of the top level talent that Washington has. However, I do expect him to be a solid performer and a capable backup 1a kind of goalie. I don't think the Wild will have to rely completely on Backstrom now to get through some games. Sure, the Wild will still need their goaltenders to play well every night to have a chance, I don't think it's going to be Backstrom or bust now. This is also a decent move by Minnesota, because if they become sellers at the deadline he could be a very attractive backup/veteran presence to a playoff bound team looking to secure it's goaltending. 1.1 million is a steal by the Wild for a goalie like Theodore. Other teams comes trade deadline will find his remaining salary even more attractive.
So here's to the Wild, and Theodore. Hope it works out for both of them. Although I still don't see the Wild making any kind of playoff push this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment