Monday, October 4, 2010

Guerin cut

Without looking back through my blog history, I'm pretty sure this is my first Flyers specific entry. With that I say, what the puck?

Bill Guerin was released from his professional try out contract this morning, in what I suspect was the final call by GM Paul Holmgren and his desire to go with a more youth oriented (ie cheaper) roster spot. Looking back a comments made by him throughout the preseason, he seemed indifferent to Guerin's play. I also suspect that there were probably some issues with salary, but I have no way of knowing that so I won't say either side of this was being unreasonable.

What I will say is that it's a bad move. The Flyers are still lacking quality wingers, and Guerin is a perpetual 20 goal a season man, and proved he still has something left in the tank. More importantly he brings the presence of a veteran and a winner. With Laperriere on the LTIR as he battles his post concussion issues, a quality guy like Guerin would have fit in rather well in that locker room. I would imagine his roster spot is going to go to Mike Testwuide who had a decent camp, but I don't see him bringing the presence Guerin would have.

For many of the Flyer faithful, Paul Holmgren has made some, for lack of a better term, thought provoking moves. For the most part though, he has managed to continually improve the quality of the club, and with the exception of moving Gagne this off season for a 6 pack and a bag of pucks, I have agreed with the majority of his moves. This one however, I don't really see how this is a good thing for a team that came so close last year. One would think that a guy who has been there and won it all, twice, would be invaluable. Apparently not.



Update: Testwuide sent down to Phantoms. so much for my guessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment