Tuesday, January 25, 2011

What if...

...The Toronto Maple Leafs moved Dion Phaneuf to forward?

So clearly today's blog is pure speculation. I'm not throwing out any lineup changes or anything regarding the Maple Leafs, I just think it could be a fun little scenario, so we're going with it. Basically I'm asking any Leaf fans out there not to threaten me with waffles. I just had breakfast.

We all know the kid has a booming shot from the point and can lay the heavy hit, but part of me thinks his desire to lay the big hit can end up costing Toronto if he goes for an open ice hit and misses. Now imagine if you will, Dion Phaneuf playing a wing and coming in on a forecheck. he could certainly wreak havoc on any defensive duo or backchecking winger.
He's also large enough where he could go into the high traffic areas and pick up garbage goals. A simple shot from the top of the face off circle can turn into a mad scramble as he comes in to bang away rebounds. The question would be where he would play on the power play. He's had success his whole career playing the point, and with a shot like that you can't argue. However, what would the power play look like with him screening down low? I'm sure he could make those two minutes a living hell for any goalie as a screen.
The reason I wrote this was in part due to the highlights from last night's game against the Carolina Hurricanes, where he absolutely leveled Tuomo Juutu. I also took a look at his numbers for this year, both to date and projected season totals. He is on pace for his lowest points total ever, as well as his worst season in terms of plus-minus since 08-09, which was the lowest of his career. I have no problem with Dion Phaneuf as a defensemen, so don't think I'm trying to run him out of town. I don't think he's ever going to be a #1 shutdown defenseman, but I don't think he has to be with the style he plays. Currently he is the second worst defenseman on the Maple Leafs roster in plus-minus behind Brent Lebda who is an abysmal -19. Phill Kessel is also a -19. That trade looks better everyday.

Anyway, that's my little What If. Honestly I would like to see this happen as an expiriment, maybe a pre-season game or something next year. It would definitely bring something new to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment